Thursday 22 January 2015

Keep Healthy This Winter

It's now the middle of January. Many of us have made health related New Year's resolutions that may be starting to flag a bit. Or maybe you're still chugging along but need some motivation, especially during these cold winter months.

Although I am not a nutrition or fitness expert, I thought I would share some of my strategies for keeping motivated and healthy during the winter months.

Keeping Hydrated - I know this seems like something you are told time and time again no matter what the season but keeping hydrated is especially important in the winter months when there are lots of illnesses going around. I like to start my day with a cup of hot water and lemon to warm up, get hydrated first thing and get my metabolism going. I also like to have a green juice or smoothie if I can find a quick recipe and have some spare time ;)

Get the Right Kit - I never used to be an outdoor winter fitness fanatic until last year when I joined my mum's running club. Now I prefer outdoor workouts, even in those freezing cold months but it does help to have the right kit. I am definitely not one of those runners you may see decked out in shorts while its freezing out there! I wrote a previous post here about what I think makes up a good winter running kit.


Hit up the Gym/Home DVDs - If you really can't bare the cold or live in a place that has constant snow and ice all winter then definitely hit the gym, your local yoga/pilates studio or even dig out those fitness DVDs you might have at home. Take a class, go for a swim, lift some weights or jump on an elliptical. Whatever you decide to do just get your body warmed up and moving. Getting the blood flowing through exercise helps keep you fit, get a good nights sleep, reduces stress and can even help fight off colds and flu.


Remember to Eat Healthily - I know it is tempting to snuggle up on the sofa with chocolates and comfort foods during the colder months, but making sure you are eating the right foods will help you to feel at your best (and energized) all winter long and confident for the up coming summer months.


As you may know I have been doing a lot of research into sugar free and Paleo eating and although I haven't yet taken the plunge I did come across some new recipes at ALOHA.  I have previously tried Yogi Glow Banana Protein Smoothie and Homemade Crunchy Kale Chips so I am really looking forward to testing out Amazingly Healthy Cookies & Cream Morning Parfait and Cashew Lime Dip. I think after having a look at those recipes you can safely say that healthy eating can be delicious!

Aloha.com
Have you got any tips for keeping fit in the winter? I'd love to hear them.
xx


No comments:

Post a Comment